1st version of an Integra-Onkyo remote control over network for Windows Store
Pretty impressed by Microsoft Windows 10 so far.
Visual studio 2015 show the maturity of Microsoft developing tools (…looking at you Google). Still not sure about the “universal” approach (writing once deploying to everything).
Pretty annoying not being able to import VS2015 project into older versions.
The application is starting to diffuse pretty well.
At this point it start to count myself up a bit.
10 “LikeIt/HateIt votes” for each DVR and instant feedback about how other users rated the show.
I finally got motivated to scratch the “favorities itch”.
Since, seem, that in the US the channel numbering/position is “zipcode based” I can’t deploy a predefined “most popular” channels. I let the users to build their own top 8s, I run out of space for a top 10…
I could start thinking about an “achievement scheme” based on how the remote is used.
I had to decide some timeline since many minor features keep creeping in my workflow.
Experimenting with different features sometime little usability gems came to light:
with a “secondary” network remote it’s possible to “tune” to different channels while keep browsing the guide using the command:
where _DVR_IP_ is the dvr network address and _XXX_ is the channel.
That’ the command the I’ll use for the Remote’s favourities.
As this SolidSignal review pointed out the “(remote) looks pretty massive on a 27″ monitor”.
I hate the wasted space and I am thinking to prepare a couple of “big monitor skins”. The remote was originally designed with as a surface app (big fingerfriendly buttons).
I already prepared the graphic that mimic the layout of a traditional remote and I could use that for the snapped view as alternative to the reduced buttons set.
After deployed the new “almost friendly multireceivers” version of the DRTVRC I’m thinking to implementing some kind of feedback from the user trough the application itself.
The idea would be to add a “rate the current show” feature and retrieve how other users rated the same show.
The implemantation is pretty simple, a database on the webserver (GoDaddy came with MySQL preinstalled), a couple of simple PHP pages and the simplest API ever (TM) is ready.
Multi DVRs feature slowly creeping in…
In this (minor) realease I added a rudimental support of multiple receivers on the same network. To make things a bit easier for the used a “setting” button is now present directly in the application interface to try to mitigate the confusion of the “side swipe – setting” that I personally hate.
In next version the multiple receivers will receive (PUN) much more attentions and care. I plan to let people name the discovered DVRs and have the list always present in the main interface.
I could try to introduce a basic support of the Genie before that.
Like usual the store link:
Last SHEF (Set-top Box HTTP Exported Functionality) for the DirecTV DVR model HR modified the DATE field of the current show JSON. It add the month and the day after the year so now I have to parse the 8 character string.